Engineering Leader, Developer Experiences
As the leader of our Developer Experiences Group (part of our Development Platforms Team) you will work with engineering leaders, product, and operational engineering teams to make high-impact improvements to the way we work and collaborate on the hard technical problems we’re solving every day. You will also help build out data extraction and analysis platforms by partnering with Data Science teams to shape the roadmap of Wayfair’s engineering intelligence capability.
The Developer Experiences group owns end user tooling, automation, code search, curated editors and IDEs as well as learning tracks for more than 1,000 software engineers at Wayfair. A new area of focus is to leverage machine learning to come up with predictive analytics that have a profound impact on velocity and quality.
The successful candidate will be able to:
- Identify and implement best practices at massive scale, understanding that what is right for other companies may not be right for Wayfair, and achieving consensus at each step
- Effect positive change that has a multiplicative effect on all of Wayfair engineers, by designing tooling methods, repeatable patterns and self-learning mechanisms implemented through a clear change management process
- Demonstrate an affinity for creating strategies and executing against them, knowing when to adjust course
- Constantly challenge the status quo, never take any tool/process/behavior for granted
- Manage a highly capable and motivated engineering team that prides themselves on being the best
What experience and qualifications will you leverage to be successful?
- 8+ years of experience leading and managing software development teams with both junior and senior members as part of a successful engineering career. Ideally this will include experience at one or more high-growth companies.
- Experience working at scale on tools and automation that directly helps other engineers. You will be fluent in areas such as end user tooling, code search tools, curated configurations for editors and IDEs.
- Ability to mine massive amounts of source code, commit history, release records, runtime logs, instrumentation and org data to develop actionable insights and predictive analytics.
- Strong technical knowledge across most of the tools currently in use at Wayfair (Python, PHP, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, React, Angular and more!) plus the curiosity to explore others if they will bring value to the firm.
- A passion to be a force multiplier for other engineers. Your sense of accomplishment is derived from helping others solve their problems.
- Ability to quickly solve or seek solutions in an agile, fast-paced and ever-changing environment while recognizing the balance between quality and speed.
Our goal is to make software development at Wayfair a delightful experience by focusing engineering effort on what matters most, resulting in incredibly high velocity. This team impacts over a thousand engineers company-wide and maintains relationships with dozens of engineering teams. We work to build tools, systems, and automation to eliminate toil, make quality the default, and scale development activities to help Wayfair reach for the stars.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.