General Manager of Canada
We are seeking a passionate, analytical, and developmental leader with a significant track record of success to be the General Manager (GM) of Wayfair’s Canadian business. Wayfair entered the Canadian market in January 2016, making it our newest geography. The business took off immediately, thanks to a vast catalog offering and big marketing investment from the beginning. Recognizing the lack of a strong ecommerce player in the home furnishings arena in Canada, Wayfair has continued to gain strong market share across the region.
The GM of Wayfair Canada has full P&L ownership and responsibility and is involved in all aspects of the business including marketing, assortment, pricing, PR, logistics and distribution strategy. The GM has direct management of the category team who oversee supplier relationships and strategy for Canada, as well as Analytics. The other teams report up through their respective functions, but remain dedicated to Canada (such as Canada Marketing, the Canada Ops team, etc). The GM helps set the agenda for these teams and meets with them frequently.
A successful GM for Wayfair Canada would embrace the nuances and challenges of managing a bilingual website, currency fluctuations and cross-border logistics, while maintaining website feature parity with Wayfair.com. He or she also determines what parts of the US business to copy and where to deviate. Through these decisions, he/she also influences the strategy for other future Wayfair geographic expansions.
Our ideal candidate will be a self-starter and creative problem solver with a passion for data and all things home. You’ll know your competitors inside and out. You’ll be responsible for recruiting, managing, coaching and developing your team. You’ll be dynamic and analytical—as comfortable leading a senior business review as you are analyzing large data sets to develop impactful insights. You will be able to define overarching goals and strategy, articulate and execute plans, and monitor and manage key business metrics. You will lead operational process improvements as well as drive efficiency gains with a continuous focus on deploying technology to enable business results.
This is a unique general management role for a highly motivated and energetic individual looking to join a high growth company and make a significant business impact.
- Develop and execute vision for Wayfair Canada, synthesizing data-driven insights with market feedback and an understanding of the online retail marketplace
- Fill gaps in assortment via new vendor partnerships
- Build and meet sales targets, expand margin profiles
- Provide senior support on key account conversations and negotiations
- Lead a large, cross-functional team to success via clear understanding of both what we will do and why we will do it
- Collaborate with key stakeholders from marketing, product, and operations functions
- Build staff plan to fully execute vision – hire team and partner cross-functionally to resource appropriately
- Engage regularly with Wayfair executives to ensure continued alignment between sites and functions
- Mentor and develop direct reports to become next generation of senior leaders at Wayfair
- Negotiate with and serve as escalation point for existing suppliers and vendors
- Travel to 4-6 trade shows annually
- Top-tier university qualifications, including an MBA or professional equivalent
- Heavily quantitative – able to dive into large data sets, create insights that drive action
- A tactical understanding of retail assortment planning and developing selections to maximize profitability per-visit and over time
- Track-record of successfully leading large cross-functional teams in complex projects
- Very strong traditional leadership/management skills, the highest business standards and ethics
- Evidence of “scrappy startup execution”, and leading teams of junior and senior staff in day-to-day execution activities. Knowledge of how to ‘get it done’ no matter what when time is tight and stakes are high.
- Ability to manage through ambiguity, stress, adversity and conflict to establish focus and deliver against business goals
- Understanding/passion for home and technology