Cassandra Database Engineer – Distributed Systems
At Wayfair, we are looking to grow our Global Production footprint to support exponential growth that the company has been experiencing by bringing on board a talented individual to help build out an Apache Cassandra platform in support of our global e-commerce business. The Distributed Systems team is responsible for managing many mission critical systems supporting diverse application domains such as machine learning, recommendation engines, front-end caching, logging and time series and analytics and as such are heavily involved in the architecture, growth, and improvement of those platforms. Though the focus of this role is Apache Cassandra as an on-prem implementation, due to the nature of our current vision, the role will be involved with and exposed to both building and supporting a hybrid model in the long term on Wayfair’s Google Cloud Platform footprint. Ever wondered what it would like to work at ‘petabyte scale’ in both an on-prem and a cloud setting at the same time? We are dealing with those massive dataset scalability challenges on a daily basis.
Some Projects that this team is working on
- Global Cloud Migration
- Automation in Devops
- Define and manage cloud and on-premises installations of Apache Cassandra.
- Support the development and deployment of applications using those technologies through definition of best practices, monitoring and configuration management for varied and growing workloads
- Define roadmaps to migrate current on-premises application infrastructure to hybrid or purely cloud based deployments based on cost management, reliability and scalability goals
- Lead system performance benchmarking and establish standards and best practices for supporting high-performing NoSQL computing environments
- Familiar with Apache Cassandra or DataStax Enterprise
- Minimum 4+ years of good hand-on experience with Apache Cassandra services related to compute, network, content delivery, administration and security, deployment and management, automation technologies.
- Professional Certification on Apache/DataStax Enterprise preferred
- Experience with Cassandra architecture internals, data modeling, replication, consistency level, installation and configuration, performance tuning, cluster mutations, clients (csql, Java, Python, PHP), monitoring, compression, compaction, hardware specification, bulk loading, maintenance tasks (repair), security, OpsCenter, DevCenter, Cassandra-stress, CCM
- Strong scripting skill in Python, bash, and knowledge of OOP design patterns
- Experience with automation tools such as GIT/SVN, Puppet, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible preferred
- Familiarity with NoSQL key-value data stores like Redis and Memcache a plus
- Prior success in automating and maintaining a real-world production environment a must
- Familiar with deployment patterns/strategy (blue/green, canary, rolling, draining)
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience; Computer Science or Math background preferred.
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Get excited by being assigned tasks/projects that you have no idea how to do
- ‘No I have never touched it before, but give me a chance and I will figure it out!’ attitude
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented and energetic attitude.
- Driven to learn and try new things
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, your home for affordable modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house with a decidedly modern vibe
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.4 billion in net revenue for full year 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people. Wayfair was recently named “Mass TLC’s Company of the Year” and “Internet retailer of the year”. The company has previously been named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.
*** This position is ONLY for on-site in our Boston, MA headquarters ***
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Wayfair will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.Tag: ENGR-INFR