PhD Data Science Immersion Program - Summer 2018
As one of the fastest growing tech companies in Boston, Wayfair relies on complex data analysis across all facets of the organization, ranging from our world-class fulfillment network to our algorithmic customer recommendations. For the first time, Wayfair is offering a unique opportunity for select and highly qualified PhD students to participate in our Data Science Immersion Program in the Summer of 2018.
Hosted at our global headquarters in Boston, Massachusetts, our week-long program offers a deep-dive into the competitive and in-demand field of Data Science. Participants will engage with our in-house experts and learn what a career in Data Science is really like. Additionally, you will get exposure to senior leadership across the organization through various networking events.
All applicants must be currently pursuing or recently completed a Ph.D within either Machine Learning, Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or other major with a heavy quantitative concentration. We are looking for highly motivated individuals who enjoy solving challenging problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Application Deadline: March 23rd, 2018
- Interviews: April, 2018
- Notification of Admittance: Rolling Admittance
- Decision Deadline for Participants: May 1st, 2018
- Program Run Time: June 18th through June 22nd
Required Application Materials:
Applicants must submit an updated copy of their resume along with a cover letter stating why they are interested in this program and a potential career in Data Science.
Program Travel & Accommodations:
This program is free of charge to all selected participants. Admitted students are also eligible to receive the following:
- Paid travel and arrangements to and from Boston (non-local students)
- Paid housing and arrangements (non-local students)
- Select daily meals (all participants)
Our training allows for insight into the day -to-day work you would encounter as a Data Scientist at Wayfair, as well how to prepare to enter this competitive field. Some areas of focus include:
- Data mining - uncover deep insight hidden in our vast repository of raw data, and provide tactical guidance on how to act on findings
- Algorithm design - develop quantitative models, leveraging machine learning and advanced data analysis techniques
- Algorithm platform engineering - architect and build technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale
- Influencing business decisions – learn how to leverage your work and encourage adoption across our business partners, to drive real business value
- Career and Interview Coaching – discover how to transition from the world of academia and better understand case interviewing as you explore full-time and internship opportunities for the future.
About our Data Science Team:
We have two tracks within Data Science at Wayfair. Both departments play a critical role in the company while operating with a high level of executive visibility. Each division is focused on creating strategic solutions that steer customer behavior, influence key decision making and quantify our impact within the ecommerce space. These two divisions are:
Data Science – Analytics:
Wayfair’s Analytics department utilizes quantitative and technical skills along with business understanding to devise solutions surrounding Data Science Personalization, Marketing, and Operations. You’ll work within Wayfair’s big data technology infrastructure in order to dive deep into our data sets and develop innovative new capabilities. From building out sophisticated platforms designed to personalize customers’ onsite experiences to developing frameworks and algorithms that guide Wayfair’s $400M+ annual marketing investment, the work this Data Science team touches critical areas of our business.
Data Science – Pricing and Profitability (Algorithms):
Algorithms is a group of data scientists within Wayfair’s Pricing & Profitability department. We design centralized systems to operate key business levers in e-commerce. These include global strategic management of dynamic pricing and sort recommendation algorithms, which are responsible for controlling the levels of consideration and exposure over millions of products worldwide. Day-to-day, we collaborate closely with business stakeholders to formulate these problems and mine terabytes of data to unearth deep insights that anchor the principles behind our solutions. Our diverse and fun teams enjoy an environment of strong ownership and quick feedback from building, experimenting and iterating on high-impact work.
For more information about the data science team and the work we do, check out our blog.
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- DwellStudio, unexpected modern design for everyday life
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.6 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,700 people.
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Wayfair will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.Tag: ANLT-BIDS