Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Sr. Site Reliability Engineer
At Wayfair, we are looking to strengthen and grow our Production Operations team by bringing on board a talented “hands-on” SRE manager to lead our Linux team that manages large scale physical and virtual server environment that underpins our global e-commerce platform. Although the primary focus of this team is Linux provisioning and operational stability of the Platform, you will be involved with and exposed to a wide variety of systems and technologies. This team is focused on ensuring a consistent environment, and supporting day to day operations of a global e-commerce platform.
This role offers a full range of operational and project-based experience allowing individual to get involved with the latest technology platforms. In this role, you will be tasked with building and supporting large number of systems/platforms using modern DevOps practices. The team is aggressively moving towards “Infrastructure as Code” model. We are looking for someone with “automation” mindset. A willingness to work with Windows systems is a plus.
Some of our larger initiatives include:
- CentOS upgrade and rollout
- Setting up Linux patching infrastructure
- Puppet module standardization and improving automation of systems, processes, and services
- Data center expansion and moving to the cloud
Responsibilities for the team include, but are not limited to:
- Provide Operating System support for Linux systems including but not limited to interactions with underlying hardware (firmware/driver support), backend databases (mariadb, etc.), and application stack (web servers running Nginx)
- Building and testing RPM packages including custom packages
- Automate system and application deployment for physical hardware and virtual machines
- Automate deployment of load balancer configurations (HA Proxy)
- Maintain and review puppet modules and support the provisioning infrastructure
- Maintain package repos (python/java/rpm/etc.) using tools such as Pulp, Artifactory, etc.
- Maintain external cloud systems such as Azure, GCP, etc.
- Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot daily processes and make improvements to current processes
- Recommend and implement infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance and throughput expectations.
- Drive scalability and operability of supported systems/infrastructure
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Create and maintain detailed documentation
- Establish, maintain, and adhere to Wayfair technical standards, policies, and procedures
- Lead a group of 4 to 6 Linux Systems/DevOps engineers
- 2-4 years’ experience in team lead or manager role leading a Linux systems/DevOps group
- 5-8 years’ systems administration/DevOps background
- BA/BS degree from a 4-year college preferred
- Experience with Linux OS, preferably a Red hat derivative
- Experience using configuration management tools such as Puppet, Ansible, or Salt Stack
- Understanding of web servers (Apache/Nginx)
- Understanding of other technologies such as networking, virtualization, storage, monitoring, etc.
- Familiarity with load balancers (HA Proxy, F5, Netscaler, etc.)
- Experience with cloud (Azure, Google Cloud Platform, AWS, etc.) and hybrid cloud technologies (Terraform, Openstack, etc.)
- Experience with hybrid cloud provisioning (Openstack, Terraform, etc.) a plus
- Scripting ability (bash, PHP, python) is a plus
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Get excited by being assigned tasks/projects that you have no idea how to do
- ‘No I have never touched it before, but give me a chance and I will figure it out!’ attitude
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented, and energetic attitude
- Driven to learn and try new things
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- DwellStudio, unexpected modern design for everyday life
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.6 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,700 people.