Manager, Big Data Management
Do you believe in the power of big data to meaningfully shape business decisions across an organization? Are you excited about cultivating a massive, highly dynamic, proprietary data asset central to Wayfair’s business strategy and operations? Do you thrive in an environment that blends both your technical and business skills? Are you a problem solver with a bias toward action and results? If so, you may be the perfect fit for an exciting new role at Wayfair.
We are seeking a driven tech lead for the Big Data Management team within the quickly growing Competitive Intelligence organization, whose mission is to define, gather, analyze and distribute intelligence about products and competitors to enable market-based assessments of Wayfair’s performance, guide targeted interventions, and track progress filling competitive gaps. In this highly visible role, you will set the agenda and priorities for a team of analysts and engineers to maximize the value of the second largest (and quickly growing) data set at Wayfair that forms the foundation for everything the team does.
This is a unique opportunity to build an important new function and game-changing capabilities in an exciting ‘start-up within a start-up’ environment.
- Become the key driver of competitive intelligence data operations by working with analysts and engineers to optimize data structure, data quality, and infrastructure
- Act as a tech lead for team with opportunity to broaden scope
- Build and manage the tools, process, and KPIs to ensure speed, completeness of results, and accuracy in our data assets; critically investigate issues and develop action plans to resolve
- Continuously appraise priorities; build plans to execute on highest impact initiatives while balancing operational and strategic tasks, internal and external requests
- Champion robust testing, verification, and automation processes with the goal of minimizing defects and human error
- Solicit input from key stakeholders across the company; prioritize and incorporate feedback into the data management roadmap
- Develop and promote a team culture of innovation and process improvement to continually build stronger capabilities
Skills and Expertise:
- 4+ years work experience with a focus on developing and implementing strategic business initiatives using large datasets
- Advanced knowledge and experience working with SQL
- Experience with Hadoop, Hive, Spark, or other distributed data technologies a plus
- Working knowledge of Python and/or R a plus
- Hands-on quantitative experience working with and understanding large datasets, including data cleansing, data transformation, data mining, and statistical analyses
- Self-starter who thrives in an entrepreneurial, autonomous environment where you set the agenda and relentlessly focus on getting it done, no matter what
- Process-oriented with the ability to break complex projects down into manageable work streams, and effectively communicate progress, issues, and next steps both upward and downward
- Ability to identify and succinctly summarize roadblocks and constraints, propose potential solutions, and drive toward resolution
- Experience with Agile methodologies
What we offer:
- A unique opportunity to manage truly cutting edge Big Data capabilities within a data-driven, high-growth company
- The ability to develop and lead Big Data Management team
- The ability to drive impact across every aspect of the business through generating data-driven insights
- A collaborative and forward-thinking team that continuously pushes the envelope
- A competitive salary & bonus, and great benefits including: medical, dental, and vision insurance, pension, gym membership discounts, team outings, company-wide social events, snacks, refreshments, and more
- A structured professional development program, including dozens of classes offered throughout the year through learn@work, and a formalized review process
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.