Director of Data Technologies
Wayfair.com is a high-growth e-commerce leader. We are looking for a smart, passionate, and innovative person who is excited to lead a team that is scaling and supporting our multi-datacenter database infrastructure. MSSQL is at the heart of this large system, but MySQL and PostgreSQL play important roles as well, in an application programming environment where the Linux platform predominates. The position requires an experienced leader of people with technical depth and breadth, who will work with Wayfair stakeholders to design and build technology solutions that will propel the platform and the business forward. This is a high-impact, high-visibility role that will directly influence our business results and the core of our technology stack. Leadership, complex system design and operational excellence, will all be important contributors to high achievement.
- Day to day operations
- Goal and priority setting
- Architecture and system design
- Collaborate with the technology leadership team and business stakeholders to develop roadmaps
- Maintain team talent including recruiting, orienting, and mentoring employees, and developing career growth opportunities
- Manage the overall execution, performance, and availability of our production and development SQL Server and other relational database environments
- Think critically about the use of relational databases, both OLTP and Analytic, in a mixed environment including parallel databases and other distributed systems.
- Collaborate with peers & stakeholders to help architect database solutions to meet performance, growth and availability requirements
- Continuously identify areas for improvement around deployment, capacity planning, monitoring, self-healing and automation
- Lead the effort to develop the team budgets and meet expectations for high levels of fiscal stewardship
- Provide leadership and management to vendor relationships to ensure that deliverables, service levels and / or products meet company and contractual expectations, and that each vendor relationship demonstrates a high level of financial integrity and transparency
- Maintain strong relationships and regular communication with senior business leaders and other relevant stakeholders
10+ years hands on experience with RDBMS and other data platforms, especially MSSQL, MySQL and PostgreSQL
3+ years of Director Level responsibilities.
- Mentoring, coaching, and collaboration
- Continually evaluating emerging technologies to identify opportunities, trends, and best practices
- Experience in designing, architecting, and implementing solutions to meet high volume and rapid growth.
- Business process analysis, planning and improvement expertise
- Demonstrated ability to apply architectural principles, methods, and tools to business challenges
- Exceptional communication skills to communicate at all levels of the organization (this includes written, verbal and visual communications)
- Leadership qualities, including ability to facilitate technical discussions with diverse and cross-functional groups, and good negotiation skills including the ability to influence others with ideas and proposed architectural options
- Strong situational analysis and decision making
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.