Senior Manager, Procurement & Carrier Management
The Middle Mile team is looking for a proven leader to drive a transformative redesign of our shipping network. This person will play a key role in a major company initiative to roll out a best in class transportation network through more intelligent network routing, pooling, and cross docking. As an integral member of this team, you’ll be able to put your stamp on the design and execution of a very unique and proprietary furniture network.
We are looking for the right individual, who is team oriented, with an entrepreneurial spirit and a deep background in either procurement and Carrier Management or experience costing and managing a transportation network working for a carrier or 3PL in order to manage our critically important transportation business and drive down costs, speed up transit time and reduce damages. This is a highly visible and exciting role for the company and one that will offer the right candidate an opportunity to lead one of our core operational functions.
Who we are: The Middle Mile manages all of Wayfair’s logistics operations from our suppliers to our warehouses or direct to our customers. We strive to continually delight our customers by providing the most transparent, reliable, and exception free end to end delivery experience in the industry. We believe in repeatable, scalable, data and process driven management while embracing Wayfair’s entrepreneurial creative and fun atmosphere. We also provide leadership by example in hiring, retention and safety.
What you will do:
- Drive enhancements within Wayfair’s transportation process as it relates to the high volume daily interactions with our LTL and Truckload partners.
- Expand current portfolio of service providers
- Drive throughput though 3rd party networks to speed up overall network transit
- Recruit, negotiate contracts with, and train new LTL providers
- Provide direct input into the development, implementation and reporting of partner provider KPI/metrics to monitor all aspects of the transportation process.
- Through negotiation, process improvement and developing strategic 3rd party partnerships you will work to reduce damages.
- Participate in building our processes and defining Best Practices for our own in house managed cross dock operations
Who you are:
- A cross functional project leader
- MBA or other graduate degree in engineering, logistics, or other supply chain related field preferred but accomplished professionals will always be considered.
- You have 5+ years of logistics and transportation experience under your belt—specifically in managing LTL or Truckload freight either as a Shipper or Carrier
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- Savvy negotiator
- Extremely organized, meticulous and detailed oriented with the ability to see the story in the data
- Able to lead discussions and communicate effectively