Senior Manager Build vs. Buy Software Portfolio Manager
Wayfair is a dynamic, cutting-edge technology company operating in the ecommerce space. We’re committed to providing our customers with a best-in-class experience for all things home. We are growing at a lightning-fast pace and are looking for a leader to support the strategy, evaluation and implementation of technologies to support our diverse, global workforce.
This position is located in our Global Headquarters at Copley Place in downtown Boston, within the Engineering division, but it’s a role that leans more heavily on business acumen, planning and managing a multi-faceted agenda than deep technical expertise.
Wayfair has a “build first” mentality when it comes to software, supported by years of successful experience creating solutions that both deliver greater value than what’s broadly available and which cost less. As the company continues to grow, we need to balance meeting critical business needs by licensing software selectively to get the right tools into the hands of our global teams, while simultaneously sticking to our core value of building where and when it makes business sense. This is a non-technical role where you’ll be responsible for partnering with the business, engineering, and product management teams to understand the business’s needs, current usage patterns, and available options for both purchased and in-house built software packages available to meet them. You’ll be influencing the decisions regarding building or buying solutions to meet the dynamic needs of all of our business functions; while ensuring that external software spend is high-impact, and specifically higher impact and higher ROI than if it were built internally. You will also be responsible for partnering with assets, procurement and finance to track and plan for license growth based on the needs of the business.
This position is a great fit for someone who:
- Enjoys learning across a broad range of business and technology topics
- Is able to define a streamlined, scalable process for determining technology solutions and understand a complex software vendor landscape; across multiple domains
- Is able ensure that any new additions are business value accretive vs. existing solutions purchased elsewhere or existing internally-built tools.
- Can work with architects and in-house experts to determine/ensure that technical architecture is sound, implementation cost, maintenance cost, and future potential feature requirements have all be taken into consideration for all external software purchases and that in-house plans are realistic
- Has a proven track record making decisions based on return on investment and total cost of ownership for technology solutions
- Can evaluate entire portfolio of existing software, actively reducing the portfolio (both number of purchases and total spend) by finding areas of overlap, underutilization, and low impact; as well as challenge the status quo of “we have always used this tool or suite of software”
- Is able to develop a library of simple business case templates to support rapid evaluation of software requests
- Can manage a parking lot of capabilities for future build, prioritized by potential business-value or savings (and the stakeholders who have competing interests)
- Is able to establish and manage a process for periodically (quarterly, annually) reviewing all areas of software spend
- Has experience with building and managing balanced scorecards
- Has established reporting for senior management (eg, “C-level”) teams in previous roles
- Can effectively influence senior leadership on difficult decisions
- Can quickly adapt to changing business and organizational objectives
- Consistently focuses continuous improvement
- An MBA from a top tier university. Candidates with a concentration in finance strongly prefered
- Minimum of 1-2 years in a Strategy Consulting role or equivalent experience
- Experience overseeing change management and financial analysis processes
- Ability to multi-task and manage multiple competing priorities
- Comfort working with senior stakeholders across a broad range of activities and business units, quickly learning and pivoting
- A desire to work in the technology arena and drive significant business value
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.Tag: ENGR-INFR