Senior Art Director
The Lifestyle Brands are exciting offshoots of the main Wayfair brand – equally awesome, but each with its own distinct POV and product assortment. We are (drumroll, please): Joss & Main, AllModern, Birch Lane, and Perigold.
We’re on the lookout for a strong leader to steer the design for one of our Lifestyle Brands: a visionary who can drive high-profile creative strategy and forge trusted relationships with key stakeholders, all while fearlessly guiding a super-talented team of creatives.
This is a fantastic opportunity to shape the look and feel of a brand and direct a growing team of designers of all levels. You’ll oversee and execute design for everything from promotional emails and direct mail projects to brand awareness campaigns and major advertising. The role requires someone who can partner with both creatives and cross-functional leaders, and is a strong manager-doer.
- Manage, lead, and inspire a team of 4-6 designers of varying levels. (They’re great.)
- Develop and maintain the brand’s design standards to drive brand consistency and evolution.
- Review and thoughtfully critique your team’s work, providing actionable feedback and helpful suggestions.
- Manage aggressive deadlines and direct an even workload distribution across your team.
- Maintain seamless communication with partners on other teams, effectively translating creative strategy when required.
- Analyze performance metrics and other data (especially customer insights!), and use that information to guide creative decisions.
- Provide innovative creative solutions that both elevate the brand and engage customers.
- Think critically to drive efficiency, strategically planning work that can be used across multiple channels and media.
- 7+ years relevant experience, preferably for an ecommerce brand.
- 3+ years management experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in art, graphic design, or a related field. (Equivalent training/experience also considered.)
We’re extra-impressed by...
- Experience with motion design and video.
- Hours logged on photoshoots or collaborating with those who do.
- Familiarity (or deep obsession) with home furnishings, and interior design or fashion.
- Print experience! (It’s not dead yet.)
- Robot-like organizational powers.
A Day in the Life for This Role
8:45AM | Check out the latest store displays on the way into work, because our office is above a mall.
9:00 AM | First dose of coffee. Powwow with a respective copy manager and associate creative director.
10:15AM | Think about the customer.
10:30AM | Meet with the traffic coordinator to distribute project workloads evenly across your team.
11:00AM | Take a first look at what your team’s working on. Guide. Thoughtfully critique. Encourage.
11:45AM | Think about the customer.
12:00PM | Grab food from either the numerous snack walls or the three Sweetgreens within walking distance. (Or, heck, Chipotle. We don’t judge.)
12:30PM | Think about the customer.
12:45PM | Review projects with copywriters and offer (clear, objective) feedback.
1:30PM | Meet with brand stakeholders to discuss major upcoming projects and strategy.
2:00PM | More coffee.
2:15PM | Think about the customer.
3:00PM | Attempt to reach inbox zero. Digest performance data. Rattle off questions and ideas to the appropriate teams.
4:00PM | Research what comparable brands are doing, design-wise. Gather inspiration.
4:45PM | Put the finishing touches on documentation of graphic standards and design principles for the brand.
5:45PM | Peruse candidate applications and brainstorm ways to attract the best talent possible.
- Insight-driven conceptual work.
- Projects for unexpected channels (ambient, experiential, out-of-the-home – all great!).
- Successful creative that influenced a positive change in customer behavior.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.