Compliance Senior Manager
Compliance Senior Manager, Merchandising Operations
Are you passionate about creating scalable operational processes? Are you looking to come on board and make an immediate impact? Do you have experience leading teams and driving innovative and continuous process improvement? If so, the Merchandising Operations team is looking for an enthusiastic, self-motivated and process-driven manager to join our business as we continue our ambitious plan to build the best online home goods catalog. Merchandising at Wayfair is the team that creates our catalog of items and makes it easy for our consumers to navigate and shop the full catalog. We gather data and images on over 8 million items from many thousands of suppliers, across many countries and languages. We transform the data we receive into usable information in our systems so that consumers can find exactly the right item, judge if it fits their needs & aspirations, and so that consumers are shipped the right item.
This role will manage our Merchandising Compliance team within the Merch Quality organization. The team consists of 5-10 employees located in our Brunswick, Maine office. Merch Compliance’s main focus is to ensure our global catalog is compliant with laws and regulations specific to each state and country in which we operate. A few examples of our work include managing compliance-related shipping restrictions for both North America and Europe, product recalls, Canadian duty rate compliance, reviews of legally sensitive phrases, and ensuring we have Certificates of Insurance from our Suppliers. In addition to managing these ongoing processes, we expect the Senior Manager to drive the development of our compliance strategy and attack the many opportunities for improvement. This includes partnering with our engineering team to develop software and tools to automate and scale our compliance processes.
This is a great opportunity for a hands-on manager that is ready to hit the ground running in a fast-paced and ever-evolving environment. You will partner closely with cross-functional partners (Legal, Site Merchandising, Product Addition, Operations, Engineering, and others) in Boston, requiring frequent travel to Wayfair’s Boston headquarters, as well as external counterparts (government regulators and Suppliers). We guarantee you will never be bored at Wayfair and there are always opportunities for professional development in a company growing at such a rapid pace. The ideal candidate has successful project management, people management, and data analysis experience combined with a passion for finding efficiencies and savings opportunities within every process.
- Directly lead a team of 5-10 Analysts and work closely with the Merch Quality Director to set the Merch Compliance strategy
- Innovatively develop business cases to drive positive business outcomes such as cross-border trade duty savings and process efficiencies
- Manage all product catalog data related to cross-border trade into Canada (and beyond) and adherence to government regulations (like California’s Prop 65)
- Partner with the Legal department to execute existing and forward-looking product compliance needs and proactively address potential legal liabilities
- Partner with internal technology partners to define and drive the tech roadmap to streamline and improve current workflows and support new initiatives
- Be the voice of Merch Compliance with government regulators and senior leaders in Boston. Advocate for investment, defend Wayfair practices, and share expertise in responding to questions or concerns.
- Analyze trends, root cause issues, and leverage our deep data asset using SQL queries and partnering with our Merch Analytics team
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA a plus
- 7+ years of relevant management and process design/improvement experience or equivalent track record in consulting field
- Proven ability to solve difficult problems with innovative solutions
- Demonstrated use of technology to automate processes with a focus on driving efficiency and cost savings
- Analytical mindset with comfort making data-driven, ROI-based decisions and trade-offs
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, comfort influencing senior leaders
- Evidence of ‘scrappy startup execution’ and a ‘get it done’ attitude when time is tight and stakes are high
- Ability to manage through ambiguity, stress, adversity and conflict to establish focus and deliver against business goals
- Previous direct management experience and focus on professional development of your teams
- This role requires frequent overnight travel to Boston, including spending the first month on the job in the Boston office to develop relationships and learn the business
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, everything home for every budget
- Joss & Main, beautiful finds, irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, home of classic designs and fresh finds
- Perigold, the widest-ever selection of premium home
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.Tag: