Senior Data Scientist (m/f)
This is a position for someone who already has experience in quantitative modelling: you have a strong analytical mindset, you hold a PhD or have similar project experience, and would love to work on cutting-edge solutions to hard problems in a leading e-commerce and tech company?
As part of this role, you will be a creative thinker in how to solve problems, utilizing quantitative/technical skills along with business understanding to devise solutions. You’ll work within Wayfair’s big data technology infrastructure to dive deep into our data sets and develop innovative capabilities.
- Partner closely with business leads in Marketing, Product, or Operations to plan valuable data-science projects
- Work in complex data systems and wrangle data from multiple sources including sales, customer, and clickstream databases
- Conduct analysis and build models to uncover key learnings from data, leading to appropriate strategy recommendations
- Serve as an algorithm and engineering lead to build advanced quantitative solutions into our overall technical platform
- Work alongside business stakeholders to apply our findings and developments and continually improve the Wayfair customer experience
- Sufficient experience in quantitative modelling and/or advanced degree (PhD) in quantitative field (e.g. mathematics, physics, computer science, economics, neuroscience, operations research etc.)
- Intuitive sense of how quantitative and technical work aligns closely with business priorities and business value
- Ability to effectively work with business leads: strong communication skills, ability to synthesize conclusions for non-experts and desire to influence business decisions
- High comfort level with programming and data, e.g. you are comfortable in Python/R or another language such as Scala, Java, C++, C#, PHP, etc. You are proficient in SQL
- Knowledge of quantitative methods – statistics, machine learning, general data analysis
- Intense intellectual curiosity – strong desire to always be learning
- Analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving open-ended problems
- Highly collaborative, team-player attitude
- A competitive salary and bonus that come along with a unique work life balance
- A company culture driven by pioneer-thinking and talent that crosses departments and hierarchies
- Great mentors and career development opportunities through our learn@work program
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops and other exciting events
- Of course fresh fruits, snacks & drinks every day!
- We’re in the heart of the Berlin startup scene with lots of space to encourage collaboration and teamwork
- Let’s not forget the chance to join the next global giant in e-commerce
And finally, a bit more about Data Science at Wayfair:
The Data Science group is made up of team members with diverse skill sets across math and engineering, dedicated to solving some of the most analytically challenging problems here at Wayfair. The work we do encompasses:
- Data mining - uncover deep insight hidden in our vast repository of raw data, and provide tactical guidance on how act on findings
- Algorithm design - develop quantitative models, leveraging machine learning and advanced data analysis techniques
- Algorithm platform engineering - design and build technical platforms for our algorithmic engines to run at scale
- Influencing business decisions - leverage our work and encourage adoption across our business partners to drive business value
The Data Science department covers three main topic areas. You will work in one of the following:
Data Science Personalization builds sophisticated platforms designed to personalize customer experience to millions of unique shoppers across site and email. This includes working on different types of recommendations engines, as well as algorithms that machine-learn complex shopping behavior. The goal is to be intelligent and automated in making the experience more relevant for every user.
Data Science Marketing builds the framework and algorithms that help guide Wayfair’s $400M+ annual marketing investment. The work touches all marketing channels (TV, catalog and digital) and aims to improve our ability to measure marketing impact, improve our customer targeting and optimize our investments across millions of marketing campaigns.
Data Science Operations builds data-driven solutions to support Wayfair operations teams, including Merchandising Operations, B2B, Supplier Performance, and Customer Service. The big goals are to enhance Wayfair’s behind-the-scenes operational capabilities through rigorous use of algorithms and analysis.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
Wayfair generated $4.7 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended December 31, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 7,700 people.Tag: ANLT-BIDS