Freelance Product Designer (UX/UI)
* This role is based in Boston, MA.
We are looking for a talented Product Designer with a diverse portfolio demonstrating mastery of craft and a track record of results: the design of engaging experiences that created positive outcomes for both the customer and the business. Your demonstrated skillset must span all areas of UX design: analysis and validation of user needs, flows and interactions, and screen/page architecture. You should have experience working directly with Product Managers and Front-end Engineers to prioritize, specify, and deliver compelling user experiences.
As a member of Wayfair Design, you’ll join a diverse, multidisciplinary team of world-class designers who are hard at work transforming the experience of shopping for your home. Our design practice is collaborative, user and data-driven, and fast-paced. We are looking for a design practitioner who can help us take our experience to the next level, bringing deep expertise in UX design and a strategic mindset for how to scale and differentiate a market-leading e-commerce experience. You should be versed in research methodology and current with design trends.
At Wayfair, we have established our leadership position in the market through a fierce passion for helping users find the best products for their homes. Our success has created a tangible opportunity to shape the future of ecommerce, and your work will have deep and meaningful impact.
- Craft intuitive and shippable product experiences, leveraging Wayfair UX design standards and industry best practices.
- Produce design deliverables utilizing the Sketch app, InVision and/or other prototyping tools.
- Detailed site maps,(remove) user flows/task flows, user journeys, page flows, taxonomies/folksonomies, paths to purchase, etc.
- Deliver wireframes, annotations, and prototypes that represent interaction recommendations
- Detailed visuals / mockups (remove)
- Lead cross-functional design reviews for all necessary deliverables
- Strong ability to convey user goals and how designed solutions help users achieve them.
User Research Responsibilities
- Evaluate competitor and industry websites to provide a meaningful audit of the findings
- Prioritize, plan and help conduct user research with the User Experience Research team, knowing when and how to utilize any of the following techniques: user interviews, usability testing, task analysis, contextual inquiry, card sorting
- Support and influence product planning and prioritization.
- Be extremely familiar with user experience design, product management, engineering, and agile development environments and be able to turn complex use cases into intuitive and shippable product experiences.
- Establish design acceptance criteria for the product, and ensure that the implementation meets design standards.
- Play a leadership role in resolving unclear direction or unknown variables
- The ability to engage in strategy discussions. Weigh tradeoffs between business, technical, and customer needs.
- Mentor designers with less experience to improve their skillset.
- 5+ years of Product Design / UX experience for consumers and consumer brands—a big plus if you have experience in e-commerce
- Communication and presentation skills. The ability to clearly present work, and articulate the rationale for the decisions that led to it, able to embrace open communication to effectively convey process, progress, and dependencies.
- Facilitation and listening skills. The ability to maintain undivided attention and appreciate interpersonal differences. An openness to opinions that challenge beliefs, and be a willingness to evolve based on new information.
- The confidence and self-motivation to drive forward projects that will improve our user’s experience.
- Expert proficiency in Sketch, InVision, and other design tools.
- Working knowledge of what is feasible to produce with HTML/CSS/JS. Hands-on skills a plus.
- An online portfolio that demonstrates an unfailing advocacy for the user, highlighting: e-commerce design work, mobile design work, analytical decision-making, and strategic thinking.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Tag: CUE