Director - Category Management
Wayfair is looking for entrepreneurial and analytical General Managers to lead and oversee the various category verticals Wayfair.com. Each vertical plays a key piece in the success of the broader business and continues to have high growth potential. We are looking for leaders to build the strategic vision and a team of excellence to execute on that vision. As a senior leader within Wayfair, you will develop and implement specific category business plans achieving high growth results. Key responsibilities will include building/managing Category Management teams, expanding strategic selection in your categories, negotiating favorable business terms with key suppliers, identifying alternative sourcing strategies to drive better product economics, and driving a merchandising agenda across teams.
These are general management roles where you will be accountable for the growth and profitability of your categories and will partner closely with your cross-functional senior counterparts to drive the overall strategic agenda.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter and creative problem solver with a passion for data and all things home. You’ll know your competitors inside and out. You’ll be responsible for recruiting, managing, coaching and developing your team. You’ll be dynamic and analytical—as comfortable leading a senior business review as you are analyzing large data sets to develop impactful insights. You will be able to define overarching goals and strategy, articulate and execute plans, and monitor and manage key business metrics. You will lead operational process improvements as well as drive efficiency gains with a continuous focus on deploying technology to enable business results.
- Drive data insights into action guiding strategic planning
- Develop strategic points of view, build plans, execute and drive profitable growth in emerging categories
- Develop and execute category strategy in concert with buy-in from senior management
- Collaborate with key cross-functional senior stakeholders in pricing, product, site merchandising, promotions, operations, marketing, and inventory to drive category strategy
- Analyze data to strategize profit growth opportunities for the category and suppliers
- Lead a team of Category Managers and their reports
- Improve profits through strategic supplier relationship management, ensuring we are competitive in the marketplace on pricing/economics
- Execute high volume of negotiations with existing suppliers including everyday pricing, fulfillment programs, annual incentive programs, advertising programs and promotions
- Conduct regular meetings and calls with suppliers to review the business and advance Wayfair business goals
- Advance catalogue expansion, including identifying selection gaps, prioritizing new line queue and building direct relationships with key suppliers to bring on board
- Develop talent for Category leadership; additionally, mentor/develop staff at Wayfair
- Analyze competitors’ marketing, selection and pricing and make strategic changes and product scouting as needed
- Leverage technology to enhance business goals / customer experience
- Roughly 15% travel for meeting suppliers at trade shows in cities such as Las Vegas, Chicago, Atlanta, and High Point (North Carolina)
- MBA from top tier school
- 7 to 15 years relevant experience, preferably in management consulting or e-commerce
- Proven track record of leadership, taking ownership and driving results
- Ability to develop and articulate strategy and perform tactically
- Passion for large data sets to drive strategic insights
- Versatile performer, capable of adapting as data-led insights evolve
- Prior experience recruiting and building high performance teams
- Ability to multi-task and work well within a dynamic organization
- Prior experience in a high performance, fast-paced industry
- Comfortable in technology-driven business environment
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 8 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes – from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $4.3 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended September 30, 2017. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 6,800 people.