Cloud Performance Engineer
Cloud Performance Engineer
Boston, MA, United States
Wayfair is a leader in the ecommerce space for all things home. We live and breathe modern technologies. We are a “move fast break things, re-think old standards” team with a startup feel and continuous deployment.
We’re looking for smart, logical thinkers who produce and advocate for performant, scalable designs. We are as much concerned about thought leadership, community involvement, and the ever-changing Devops landscape as we are with senior technical skills!
On the Site Reliability Engineering team as a Cloud Performance Engineer you’ll have tons of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new things while directly assisting our internal customers. We are seeking an experienced engineer with strong systems background to work on backend and infrastructure performance at scale within the SRE team.
In this role, you will focus on finding and fixing performance bottlenecks in the application, infrastructure and increasing scalability. You will be involved in benchmarking and defining performance standards. You will develop automated solutions to evaluate and improve performance and scalability, leveraging the cloud for testing infrastructure. Our goal is to establish performance Engineering as service (PEAS) for all internal customers.
What the Performance Engineer role entails:
- Development and implementation of test strategies, plans, analysis and reporting
- Infrastructure, system and software performance and capacity analysis
- Load and Stress analysis of application performance
- Create and maintain detailed documentation for analysis and recommendations
- Interface with Business and SW Engineering teams to jointly develop go live roadmap
- Identify opportunities to help other engineering teams with performance and optimization
- Establish, maintain, and adhere to Wayfair technical standards, policies, and procedures
What the Wayfair Site Reliability Engineering team does:
- Writes clean, high-performance, and well tested, infrastructure code with a focus on reusability. (Python, GoLang, Powershell, Puppet, Salt)
- Automate, Automate, Automate!
- Manage, monitor, and troubleshoot daily processes and make improvements to current processes
- Recommend and implement infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance and throughput expectations.
You ideally have:
- 3-5 years experience in performance and/or software engineering
- 3+ years of primarily Devops/SRE engineer experience
- 2+ years hands on Performance tuning
- Experience in one or more programming languages used in infrastructure - Ruby, PHP, Python, GO, Java etc as well as familiarity with version control such as Git/SVN
- Experience with open source load testing tools such as Apache JMeter, Gatling, httperf etc APM, monitoring tools like Grafana, DataDog or NewRelic
- Familiarity with configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Experience testing full application stack with high availability requirements
- Experience with modern Devops practices (CI, CD, Microservices, Containers)
- Hands on experience with Public Cloud (AWS, GCP, AZURE)
- Able to engage in high-level client-side architecture discussions
- Experience with SQL databases – querying, profiling and performance tuning
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to collaborate and work well within a team
- BA/BS/MS degree from a 4-year college or university
Nice to haves:
- An active GitHub account
- Attend Devops/SRE/Performance meetups
- NoSQL and Caching exposure
- Experience/Knowledge of Kubernetes
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Tag: ENGR-INFR