Director of Engineering, Search
Director, Engineering /Search
Wayfair is looking for an experienced Engineering Leader to join our Search Technologies software engineering team. The SearchTech team’s mission is twofold: first, to make the on site product search experience delightful for our customer, the second is to champion the search platform to the rest of the organization. In this role, you’ll drive industry-leading large scale projects with other leaders across Wayfair, manage a highly creative and driven team of engineers, and partner with our product team to identify, quantify and solve business needs.
We work across several technologies, including Solr as our core platform, python services, plus SQL and kafka for our data pipeline. We have exposure to backend infrastructure work to support Solr, as well as some full-stack work to support the on-site product search UI. We partner with Data Science on features such as visual search and other machine learning projects, and work with teams at other companies to solve emerging challenges. Our ideal leader has a background working with large scale search systems and fast iteration in an agile environment. We deeply value: curiosity, innovation, collaboration, and an eagerness to make an impact on the business.
What you’ll get to do:
- Guide architecture and development of the next generation of industry-leading on-site search features and functionality
- Continually scale our search systems to support a rapidly growing customer base and a rapidly growing catalog of products
- Evangelize search within Wayfair and champion new ways search technologies can help the business internally and externally
- Manage a large software team that will quickly expand to multiple sprint teams focused on building innovative search systems and features across all of Wayfair brands and geographies
- Collaborate with stakeholders from across the company and with your product management partners to understand their business challenges, discuss tradeoffs and creatively solve as we continue to push for a better customer search experience
- Millions of external customers will use your team’s solutions as well as thousands of internal customers who merchandise our catalog and curate our events
- 7+ years experience as a software developer on any web stack.
- 5+ years experience managing and mentoring teams.
- Strong instinct for understanding business value and prioritization
- Passion for leading teams, leading through change, and growing their capabilities through mentorship
Nice to haves:
- Experience with Solr or other search specific technology
- Experience with natural language processing and machine learning
- Ecommerce background