Software Engineering Manager, Development Platforms
We are hiring a senior engineering manager for our Development Platforms team. The Development Platforms team is making software development at Wayfair a delightful experience. This team builds exceptional tools, systems, and automation, grows relationships with dozens of talented engineering teams, and is a force multiplier for >800 engineers. Extensive experience in software development and solving technical problems at the human level is paramount to success.
What will your role be?
- Be a player-coach for your team. Be it technical guidance or a little extra motivation on a tough day you will be able to adapt your style and approach to give your team members just what they need in that moment, and over the course of their career.
- Envision how engineering-wide tools and systems such as version control, code deployment, custom command-line tools, alerting and logging infrastructure, automated testing platforms, and more all come together to create a delightful engineering experience.
- Proactively reach out to teams to build relationships, discover opportunities, and champion changes which reduce friction, and empower engineers.
- Drive architectural decisions that shape the way >800 software engineers at Wayfair get their work done.
- Be a relentless advocate for the engineering experience by gathering feedback, proposing solutions, and taking ideas from proof-of-concept to production.
- Contributes materially to development processes for all of Wayfair's supported programming languages (PHP, Python, .NET, and Java).
- Support and mentor new members of the team as well as engineers throughout the organization.
What will you bring to the role?
- Experience managing software teams in an open- or closed-source situation; large scale software systems experience is a true advantage.
- A strong conviction that delivering a delightful development experience to large engineering teams is a challenging, rewarding, and highly impactful endeavor.
- A belief that technology problems cannot be solved in a vacuum, and an impetus to establish and leverage relationships to deliver excellent results.
- The ability to entice others into taking action. You are comfortable speaking to peers of varying levels of experience to build consensus and earn their commitment to making big changes.
- An understanding that today’s best practices eventually become tomorrow’s bad habits. Always challenging your own personal tools to find better / more efficient ways of getting things done.
For bonus points, you will have:
- A good sense of humor and deadly accuracy with Nerf guns.
- Experience with Git (also GitLab or GitHub), Puppet, Docker (or other forms of containerization), Vagrant, VirtualBox or VMware, Selenium and/or Codeception, Google Cloud Platform or other cloud service providers.
- An active GitHub account.
- Experience presenting at meetups or conferences.
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited resumes from agencies or other third parties.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Tag: ENGR