Data Science Content Marketing and Social Media Manager
Background on the Department:
You will be the 4th hire to join a new strategy and program management office at Wayfair tasked with building and scaling Wayfair’s data science and machine learning capabilities—a top priority at the company. As a rapidly growing e-commerce company, Wayfair depends on its data science team to solve the most challenging problems using the latest machine learning/AI-based algorithms.This requires a multidisciplinary blend of statistics, technology, and business strategy, all applied in tandem to discover key insights that lie hidden in our data sets.
We have a dynamic, diverse, and highly educated data science team, with 100+ people of 15 nationalities, 70% of whom hold MS or PhDs in a variety of fields such as physics, computer science, operations research, neurolinguistics, and psychology). Our team will double in size in the next 18 months, and such growth requires a holistic branding and marketing strategy to set Wayfair apart as an employer of choice in this field.
Working at the intersection of talent acquisition, business strategy, and team management, the Data Science Strategy and Programs Office owns the scaling and deployment of these capabilities enterprise-wide. We conceive, develop, manage, and evaluate programs to identify sources of top talent, and develop relationships with key influencers to attract and retain top data scientists and machine learning engineers. Our strategy consists of four primary workstreams:
- Recruiting Strategy: Work with Talent Acquisition to develop and execute sourcing and hiring plans
- Content and Social Media Marketing: Develop and manage our blog content, website, social media campaigns, and email marketing
- Event Engagement: Organize speaking engagements, meetups, boot camps, competitions and attend conferences
- University Outreach: Work with universities’ administration to source talent, build research partnerships, and engage students
Key Responsibilities of this Role:
You will lead our content marketing and social media strategy. Below is a short list of some of your initial responsibilities:
- Publisher of the data science blog: You will be expected to develop the content strategy for the data science blog. You will work with the data science team to generate new article ideas and publish them with the goal of making building a world-class tech blog.
- Editor of the data science blog: You will hold an extremely high standard for all articles published on the platform. You will coach and work with your writing team to edit the articles to maintain high standards.
- Blog writer: You will be a key content generator on the blog, writing articles about themes such as technology innovation, team culture at Wayfair as well as technology trends
- Ghost writer: You will help our team of Ph.D.’s convert their ideas into accessible yet technologically deep articles, working with them to articulate and visualize their ideas. You will be the driving force that helps the team write quality articles in a timely manner.
Social Media Marketing
- You will establish a long-term vision and set long-term goals for our social media strategy.
- You will manage all of the accounts (Facebook, Instagram, Quora, Twitter, Reditt, GitHub, Stackoverflow, Linkedin, etc.) and ensure that activity in all accounts reflect each other but also stand out individually.
Metrics and Reporting
- You will establish metric driven goals for all your activities and create dashboards to track, measure, and report on all of your contributions.
- Metrics will include monitoring and optimizing our blog traffic, user acquisition, and bounce rates etc.
- Metrics will also include tracking the growth of our social media presence across followers, content creation, and impact.
Photography and Video Assets
- You will be in charge of dramatically improving the quality of our photographic and video assets, as well as organizing them in a easily accessible and logical manner which will allow for them to be deployed across multiple channels.
Partner to PR and Creative teams
- You will be a highly creative and collaborative member of inter-departmental initiatives providing strategic direction on data science business priorities and how that translates to broader PR strategies
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Idea Machine: You are an intellectual who values ideas, research and discussion above all else. You are insatiable, reading multiple books a month, listening to podcasts on your commute to work and leaving no stone unturned when it comes to making new discoveries. You are creative, connecting ideas from various disciplines and forming them into new ideas. You are a natural scientist, running learning experiments all day long seeking to understand reality as clearly as possible.
- Tech Savvy and Enthusiastic to Work with Engineers and Scientists: You may not necessarily be a scientist or engineer, but you naturally form friendships with people from all walks of life and orientation and can effortlessly fit in with any group
- English Snob: You love the written word and have already found three typos in this job description. You believe language is power and that language should be used for good (not evil). You have zero tolerance for errors and the thought of publishing an article with a misused dangling modifier gives you night terrors.
- Curiosity: You can’t help yourself from asking questions. You question why and how things are done in pursuit of improvement.
- Independence: You don’t always need a manager telling you what to do, setting your goals, or telling you how to achieve them. You set your own goals and create your own plans, thinking of your manager as a boxing coach cheering you on, giving you water, and a little bit of guidance on your technique and approach. You’re the one fighting the fight in the ring!
- Comfort with Math: You are not a quant, but you are comfortable with numbers and have taken college-level mathematics, statistics, computer science courses, or other courses with similar quantitative rigor.
- Critical Thinking: You enjoy working through complicated problems or scenarios to come up with a great solution.
- Persistence: You never cross something off your to-do list until it’s complete.
- Discretion: You have no trouble keeping private information private.
Our Proposition to You!
- A competitive salary and bonus that come along with an excellent team culture.
- Ambitious team of super smart people from all over the world (over 15 nationalities represented today).
- We contribute to your gym membership and offer free Yoga classes, as well as Wellness Weeks with massages, workshops and other exciting events.
- Great mentors and career development opportunities through our learn@work program.
- Let’s not forget the chance to join the next global giant in e-commerce.
- Daily fresh fruits, snacks, drinks, and coffee.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold, unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Tag: