Cloud Adoption Engineer – Distributed Systems
At Wayfair, we are looking to grow our Global Production footprint to support exponential growth that the company has been experiencing by bringing on board a talented individual to help build out Google Cloud Platform based implementations for a variety of on-premises Distributed Systems platforms as a way to support our global e-commerce business. The Distributed Systems team owns a large portion of mission critical systems in the areas of machine learning, logging and time series and analytics and as such are heavily involved in the architecture, growth, and improvement of those platforms. Though the focus of this role is Cloud Reliability Engineering, due to the nature of our current deployment, the role will be involved with and exposed to both building and supporting a hybrid model around technologies like Hadoop, ElasticSearch, Kafka, Cassandra, just to name a few. Ever wondered what it would like to work at ‘petabyte scale’ in both an on prem and a cloud setting at the same time? We are dealing with those massive dataset scalability challenges on a daily basis.
Some Projects that this team is working on
- Global Cloud Migration
- Automation in Devops
- Define and manage cloud and on-premises installations of Hadoop, Apache Kafka, Elasticsearch, Apache Cassandra and similar technologies. Support the development and deployment of applications using those technologies through definition of best practices, monitoring and configuration management for varied and growing workloads
- Define roadmaps to migrate current on-premises application infrastructure to hybrid or purely cloud based deployments based on cost management, reliability and scalability goals
- Develop robust infrastructure management frameworks based on SaltStack, Consul, Terraform, Kubernetes and similar toolsets to improve provisioning and application deployment speed
- Lead system performance benchmarking and establish standards and best practices for supporting high-performing computing environments
- Familiar with Cloud Cost Calculator for estimating costs and factors that impact cost control factors
- Minimum 6+ years of good hand-on experience with Cloud services related to compute, network, content delivery, administration and security, deployment and management, automation technologies.
- Cloud Solutions Professional Certification preferred
- Experience with developing, building and operating sophisticated and highly automated Cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Docker, Openstack, VMware, or Rackspace) a must.
- Strong programming/script skill in Python, Perl, Ruby shell, Node.js and knowledge of OOP design patterns
- Prior success in automating and maintaining a real-world production environment a must.
- Familiar with deployment patterns/strategy (blue/green, canary, rolling, draining)
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Engine and CICD Pipeline automation.
- Experience with continuous integration (CI/CD) and automation tools such as GIT/SVN, Jenkins, Chef, Ansible, Puppet
- Cloud monitoring implementation and strategy (icinga, zabbix, nagios, sense, graphite, splunk, elastic search) a plus
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience; Computer Science or Math background preferred.
Other traits we look for:
- Excellent interpersonal and team building skills
- Get excited by being assigned tasks/projects that you have no idea how to do
- ‘No I have never touched it before, but give me a chance and I will figure it out!’ attitude
- An easy-going attitude and strong sense of humor
- A positive, people-oriented and energetic attitude.
- Driven to learn and try new things
- An analytical, creative, and innovative approach to solving problems
- An interest in working hard and being challenged in a fast-paced environment, and having fun while doing it
Wayfair Inc. offers an extensive selection of home furnishings and décor across all styles and price points. The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair, an online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main, where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern, your home for affordable modern design
- DwellStudio, a design house with a decidedly modern vibe
- Birch Lane, a collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
Wayfair generated $3.4 billion in net revenue for full year 2016. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 5,600 people. Wayfair was recently named “Mass TLC’s Company of the Year” and “Internet retailer of the year”. The company has previously been named one of America’s Most Promising Companies by Forbes Magazine and selected by the Boston Business Journal and Glassdoor.com as a Top Company to Work For and Top Company for Well Balanced Life.
*** This position is ONLY for on-site in our Boston, MA headquarters ***
Wayfair does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Wayfair will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.Tag: ENGR-INFR