Wayfair Research Program Manager
Background on the Department
You will be the 3rd hire to join a new strategy and program management office at Wayfair tasked with building and scaling Wayfair’s data science and machine learning capabilities—a top priority at the company. As a rapidly growing e-commerce company, Wayfair depends on its data science team to solve the most challenging problems using the latest machine learning/AI-based algorithms.This requires a multidisciplinary blend of statistics, technology, and business strategy, all applied in tandem to discover key insights that lie hidden in our data sets.
We have a dynamic, diverse, and highly educated data science team, with 100+ people of 15 nationalities, 70% of whom hold MS or PhDs in a variety of fields such as physics, computer science, operations research, neurolinguistics, and psychology). Our team will double in size in the next 18 months, and such growth requires a holistic branding and marketing strategy to set Wayfair apart as an employer of choice in this field.
Working at the intersection of talent acquisition, business strategy, and team management, the Data Science Strategy and Programs Office owns the scaling and deployment of these capabilities enterprise-wide. We conceive, develop, manage, and evaluate programs to identify sources of top talent, and develop relationships with key influencers to attract and retain top data scientists and machine learning engineers. Our strategy consists of four primary workstreams:
- Recruiting Strategy: working with Talent Acquisition to develop and execute sourcing and hiring plans
- Content and Social Media Marketing: blog content development, website management, social media campaigns, email marketing
- Event Engagement: conference participation, speaking engagements, meetups, boot camps, competitions
- University Outreach: university talent sourcing, building research partnerships, administrative management, student engagement
Key Responsibilities of this Role:
You will lead our long-term university outreach and engagement strategy. Below is a short list of your initial responsibilities:
- University Talent Sourcing Strategy: Conduct research on the university talent market in order to develop a playbook for high-touch engagement with faculty and student groups at universities focusing on PhD and Master’s programs in quantitative fields, create marketing collateral for university programs, and provide support to campus recruiters as needed.
- Building Research Partnerships: Foster established relationships with university campuses in Boston, manage research partnerships between Wayfair and faculty at different universities, make recommendations regarding which students or professors Wayfair should be partnering with or hiring into internship or full-time roles.
- Administrative Management: Negotiate relationships with deans, program managers, and other high level administrators of our university partners.
- Student Engagement: Organize and host frequent Wayfair sponsored events for students at university and Wayfair campuses (interview prep workshops, informal “coffee chats” with potential candidates, datathons, sponsored student club events).
- Wayfair Research Program: Establish, develop, manage, codify, measure and report on the Wayfair Research Program.
As a note, there will be a high degree of travel required for this role where you will be attending conferences and visiting universities. Expect to go on several international trips per year (Paris, London, Stockholm, Cape Town, Barcelona, Beijing, Toronto, etc.). You will likely be doing some domestic travel to major talent hubs (San Francisco, New York, Chicago, etc.)
We are looking for someone who is independent, sharp, creative, and enjoys problem solving. The role grants a large degree of autonomy and creative freedom, and we are looking for someone who will not only be comfortable, but thrive in such an environment.
As in most corporate jobs, you will be expected to be fluent in Microsoft Office, Google Drive, and various internal tools. You will use these tools to accurately schedule and adjust meetings and events on an ongoing basis, track participants’ progress, and communicate with participants and program stakeholders on a regular basis. You will have executive exposure and will be expected to document your plans in memos and powerpoints and have the ability to persuasively explain your strategy and business impact on a frequent basis.
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Thrive on Meaningful Relationships: You enjoy building relationships with a broad set of people and find gratification in extolling the virtues of your point of view. You get great satisfaction in helping people find just the right fit for themselves in both their professional and personal lives.
- Ambassadorial Poise: You will be acting as a representative of Wayfair and will be expected to hold your own with tenured faculty members at top universities (eg: Harvard, MIT, etc.) and some of the top computer science students in the world.
- Independence: During peak season you will spend almost half of your time out of the office, so you need to be comfortable operating independently and identifying opportunities for growth.
- Curiosity: You like asking questions and digging into the why of how things are done in pursuit of improvement.
- Tech Savvy and Enthusiasm to Work with Engineers and Scientists: You may not necessarily be a scientist/engineer, but you naturally form friendships with people from all walks of life and orientation and can effortlessly fit in with any group.
- Comfort with Math: You are not a quant, but you are comfortable with numbers and have taken college-level mathematics, statistics, or computer science courses, or other courses with similar quantitative rigor.
- Critical Thinking: You enjoy working through complicated problems or scenarios to come up with a great solution.
- Persistence: You never cross something off your to-do list until it’s complete.
- Discretion: You have no trouble keeping private information private.
Our Proposition to you!
In addition to the opportunity to join the next e-commerce giant, there are several reasons why Wayfair should be on your employment short list.
- Competitive Salary and Bonus
- Excellent Team Culture: Wayfair prides itself on being collaborative and innovative, and our data science team is filled with quirky, creative, and brilliant people who you will work with on a daily basis.
- Opportunity for Growth: Our company and team are growing quickly and working on a number of projects. In this role you will have the opportunity to see real results and make an appreciable impact on the company.
- Mentorship and Career Development: Managers make themselves regularly available for questions and discussion, and our learn@work program provides regular classes on a number of career development topics.
- Boston Urban Campus: Work at our campus in the heart of downtown Boston! Historical sites, designer shopping, and advanced technological institutes are just short walks away.
- Perks: Wayfair subsidizes gym membership, offers free yoga classes, hosts Wellness Weeks (with massages, workshops, and events), organizes monthly pod outings (kayaking, brewery tours, etc.), and provides daily fresh fruits, snacks, drinks, and coffee.
Wayfair believes everyone should live in a home they love. Through technology and innovation, Wayfair makes it possible for shoppers to quickly and easily find exactly what they want from a selection of more than 10 million items across home furnishings, decor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Committed to delighting its customers every step of the way, Wayfair is reinventing the way people shop for their homes - from product discovery to final delivery.
The Wayfair family of sites includes:
- Wayfair: An online destination for all things home
- Joss & Main: Where beautiful furniture and finds meet irresistible savings
- AllModern: Unbelievable prices on everything modern
- Birch Lane: A collection of classic furnishings and timeless home décor
- Perigold: Unparalleled access to the finest home décor and furnishings
Wayfair generated $5.2 billion in net revenue for the twelve months ended March 31, 2018. Headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts with operations throughout North America and Europe, the company employs more than 8,700 people.Tag: